Friday, September 27, 2019

No More Gummy Smiles


No More Gummy Smiles
I stared at your face
As I always do
But I noticed something different
There was something new

There in your gums
A speck of white peeking through
I groaned a low hum
Here was that feeling I knew

A dull ache so strong
I've felt in the past
They say days are long
But the years are so fast

Those gummy smiles I'm afraid
Soon turn to toothy grins
The chubby cheeks will fade
As your face matures and thins

Little whimpers that you make
Quickly change to silent nights
No more rocking for the sake
Of assuring you it's alright

It took far too long
To figure this all out
So I'll keep singing you songs
To keep away your pout

You can sleep on my chest
Until you wake up to feed
You may drink from my breast
For as long as you need

With a caress of your skin
I breathed your scent in deep
Just to take it all in
Because babies... they don't keep

-Sara Bertrand

xoxo, Maman

Pin It!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Maman Bertrand. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig