Sunday, September 17, 2017

Unicorn Cake for Beginner Bakers

I am an 'all or nothing' person.
So when it is birthday time, I want to make the most special cakes for my girls. (As seen here)
I don't want store bought cakes.
I also don't plop figurines onto a cake and call it good.
(If you do either of those things, cool! You do you. I personally just don't like it)
BUUUUT I know nothing about cake decoration or baking really.
I enjoy baking, but I am no expert or professional.
So I thought I would share how I make birthday cakes for others who want to do the same.
This was Ellie's birthday cake this week:
Is it perfect? No.
But is it exactly what she begged for for months prior to her birthday? YES!
I always start out sketching what I want the cake to look like.
If you aren't artistic, just print out a coloring page to the size that you need it!
Since I used two round cakes as opposed to one large rectangular cake, I positioned and cut the drawing in half to fit into the two cakes.
(...does that sentence even make sense? 😂)
Then cut out the shapes.
After that, cut out the shape in cardboard for the cake to rest on.
You can also just use cake rounds that you buy on amazon... but why spend money on that if you have cardboard boxes from amazon deliveries laying around, right? 😂
Then cover the cardboard in parchment paper because you don't know where that has been.

Place the cake on the cardboard and cut out the shape with the prepared drawings.
(My cake and frosting are always this recipe because it is AWESOME. The only adjustment I make is adding coffee granules to the boiling water to intensify the flavor a bit. This cake is definitely not ideal for cake decorating as it is not firm whatsoever, but I make do.)
Then line up the second cake and do the same.
Frost the cake on top and on the sides.
Preferably cleaner than this 😅
(And learn from my mistakes, DON'T USE CHOCOLATE FROSTING IF YOU ARE USING WHITE FONDANT.)
Roll out fondant on a clean surface that has been dusted with powdered sugar to prevent sticking.
To pick up fondant to place on the cake, roll it onto the rolling pin.
Place the fondant on the cake, smooth it out, and press into the sides.
Then cut excess off.
Then I roll fondant and create an edge. To me, this makes the cake look cleaner.
Roll out colored fondant for the hair and cut out shapes you want.
I then added rolled pieces to add dimension, but you can also use a sculpting tool to indent the design into the fondant.
Then add eyelashes, nostril, and smile.
For the horn, roll a tapered log of fondant and wrap it spiraled along a wooden skewer.
Stab it into the forehead.
Et voila! Your pony is now a unicorn.

This last step is completely unnecessary, but it makes the unicorn look more magical.
Mix silver or gold shimmery edible pigment to some almond extract and paint it onto the horn and inner ear.
All finished!
Pretty simple, right?
If I can do it, so can you.
Trust me.
But even if it turns out ugly, it is just cake.
It will be cut up and eaten, so don't stress too much.
Kids will be happy that they are intaking sugar no matter the form.

Now I have to figure out what to make for Chloe's birthday in December.
Any ideas?
xo, Maman
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Maman Bertrand. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig